Even if you’re living inside the pokiest of apartments, you can grow your own chili peppers year-round. Houseplants have made a huge comeback lately, as well as for not bad reason – clean air, the calming sense of a space well cared for. Why not bring some stylish greenery into your home as well as get a little extra spice?
This kind of big guy can be a three-year-old habanero chili of which grew through a bug-chewed seedling to a robust plant using a trunk. If you keep a chili plant warm over winter, they can live for years. This kind of can be a clever way to grow chilies in a cold climate – a sunny window will create a mini-greenhouse effect for your plant.
These 5 elements are what you’ll need for most houseplants, including chilies:
- Bight light as well as consistent, warm temperatures. Chili peppers like consistent warmth as well as hate sudden chills. If they’re indoors, they want a window with as much direct sun as possible.
- Food as well as water. Chilies are thirsty plants, nevertheless they’re also surprisingly resilient if you don’t feed or water them straight away. (They’ll also let you know when they’re lacking either, whether through wilted leaves or discoloration.) A water-retaining potting mix as well as slow-Discharge fertilizer for potted plants will do them right.
- Comfortable pots. I learned the hard way of which chilies don’t like to be under-potted or over-potted. They have dense, water-sucking rootballs of which leave them thirsty if their pot can be too modest, as well as if the pot can be too big, too much water will sit inside the bottom as well as make the plant susceptible to root rot. If water seems to disappear as soon as of which’s poured into the pot, of which might be time to upgrade.
- The occasional hard trim. Chilies like to get a haircut every so often. You get more growth as well as more flowers. The best time to cut of which back can be in early spring, before its main flush of growth.
- Hand pollination. They’re self-pollinating, nevertheless lightly rubbing the flowers using a modest paintbrush can help your chili set even more fruit.
Pests shouldn’t be an issue, nevertheless white oil can take care of any critters of which show up.
Habaneros take a few weeks to ripen, nevertheless you can’t miss these ones when they turn orange. There are some gorgeous ornamental chilies out there as well, including the Numex Twilight cultivar which has red, yellow, purple as well as black chilies on the plant at the same time. of which’s a chili rainbow!
Just keep your chili pepper topped up with food, light as well as water as well as of which’s a joy to look after – take care of a chili as well as of which’ll take care of you (with delicious peppers).