the idea’s a classic countertop surface that will many people value above all others: Marble. Classic white marble is usually coveted because the idea looks great in any style of kitchen, paired with any additional type of material. the idea’s like a basic white shirt that will goes with any man’s suit.
So what exactly what is usually marble?
Marble is usually a metamorphic stone that will’s created when heat or pressure that will converts sediment into a denser form. Marble’s crystalline nature enables the idea to be polished. the idea has veins of mineral deposits that will form patterns, producing every slab unique. While white marble is usually classic as well as most favorite for its design versatility, additional natural colors are also available: black, gray, yellow, green, as well as pink. Some types have prominent veining while others have more subtle patterns. Impurities inside the stone are what turn the idea a particular colour.
Advantages of Marble Countertops
The advantages of marble countertops are many as well as go far beyond just beauty, notes Pacific Stone Shores.
- the idea does not easily or chip or dent,
- the idea is usually heat resistant.
- While marble is usually typically not as durable as granite, the idea is usually still a strong, reliable countertop material that will will last for decades.
- If you want fancy edges, marble is usually a Great choice because the idea’s softer to work with compared to granite, which is usually very difficult to cut without chipping.
- The slab you see is usually the slab you buy.
- The surface is usually naturally cool, so if you do a lot of baking, a marble countertop is usually a natural choice.
a few Downsides of Choosing a Marble Countertop
- One of the drawbacks of marble is usually that will the idea is usually very porous as well as easily stained – red wine as well as additional highly pigments liquids are the most likely to stain.
- Acidic foods as well as liquids such as lemons or tomatoes are particularly damaging to marble because they will etch the surface.
- Marble also scratches easier than granite.
- Sealing the countertop critical. that will said, even a sealed marble countertop will take on colour over time as well as develop a patina.
- Some manufacturers won’t warranty their marble counters if they are installed inside the kitchen.
As with additional countertops, two types of sealers can be used on marble: topical as well as penetrating. Both types will need to be reapplied periodically to preserve the surface of your countertop.
A topical sealant can slightly alter the look of the marble nevertheless the idea does protect against acidic foods as well as liquids. All topical sealants will wear off as well as must be reapplied. They also make the surface less resistant to coloring coming from heat.
Penetrating sealants soak into the pores of the marble, which is usually why they are highly recommended, especially for kitchen countertops. These sealers make marble countertops more stain resistant, nevertheless do not improve their imperviousness to acids.
Finishing Options for Marble
Marble can take on a different look depending upon the finish you choose. The most commonly chosen finishes for marble are polished, honed, as well as leather (also known as antique). The finish you choose will affect the appearance as well as performance of marble countertops
- A matte finish – also called a honed finish – is usually a satiny-smooth, almost soft feel that will comes coming from sanding. Scratches as well as flaws may be lessened with This particular type of finish, however the idea also mutes the colour of the stone. While the idea is usually a beautiful finish, the idea also makes the stone more porous as well as easily stained.
- Polished finishes are created by grinding as well as buffing that will creates a high-gloss surface. This particular enhances any detail as well as brings out the marble’s colour, veining, as well as character. This particular finish is usually less porous than the matte finish nevertheless is usually also more likely to become damaged any acidic substances. You may want to consider This particular finish only for surfaces that will don’t come into much contact with food as well as drinks.
- A leather finish adds texture to a honed marble countertop as well as can be described as an orange peel type of finish. The soft sheen is usually not reflective as well as is usually commonly used with dark marbles. Texturing helps hide fingerprints as well as imperfections.
Six ways to keep marble beautiful
- Clean up spills right away. The less time a liquid spends sitting on the surface the less chance they have of staining the stone.
- Do not use abrasive products on marble, including powdered cleansers, tub as well as tile cleaners, abrasive pads, as well as all-purpose cleansers that will contain acidic ingredients.
- Use mild liquid dishwashing detergent or soap as well as warm water that has a non-abrasive towel or sponge for regular cleaning.
- For tough messes, use a neutral stone cleaner.
- Using cutting boards as well as trivets to protect the surface.
- Reseal the countertop at least once a year.
Choosing a Marble Countertop
Shopping for a marble countertop can be time-consuming as well as complicated, according to Stone Source. Working with your contractor is usually key, nevertheless Stone Source says there are three additional things to keep in mind:
Know your specifications.
Marble comes in slabs that will are finished as well as cut to a certain thickness, most often 0.75 to 1.25 inches thick. If you want an extra-wide counter, the idea’s best to laminate to the edge of the slab that has a separate piece of marble to get a thick look. This particular not only keeps the cost down, nevertheless also prevents the countertop coming from being too heavy. The thickness of the slab also affects the cost, installation method, as well as how resistant to breakage the idea will be.
Allied Stone notes that will “Granite as well as marble countertops that will are 3cm thick are strong enough to support their own weight when installed on cabinet bases. Countertops that will are 2cm thick usually are installed on a 3/8” plywood decking to boost its strength as well as resistance to weight.”
Do your homework.
the idea’s most efficient to have an idea of the colour as well as the amount of patterning you want. the idea’s important to understand that will marble is usually a natural product as well as the idea’s not possible to order an exact colour or patterning.
Allow time for looking at options.
Because marble is usually already cut into slabs, whatever is usually inside the warehouse is usually what you can choose coming from. If you can travel coming from your immediate area, you can expand your choices.
Different Edges For Marble Countertops
The most basic edge for marble countertops is usually the straight edge, according to Marblecityca, nevertheless advances in marble cutting technology have created numerous different decorative edge options. The ogee marble countertop edge is usually very elegant as well as has two graceful, sweeping arches, one concave, as well as the additional convex. Another is usually the cove design, which is usually essentially a concave bevel on the top edge. The Simpler eased edge, rounds off a 0-degree corner as well as a bull’s nose has the profile of a half circle. Marble also notes that will the idea’s even possible to engrave the edge of a white marble countertop with the pattern of your choice. Of course, the more complex your edge choice, the higher the cost will be.
What’s the cost tag?
Marble is usually not a low budget option. The cost range is usually usually between $125 to $250 per square foot. Demand as well as availability both affect cost, as does the thickness of the slab the complexity of the installation.
You can help control the cost in three ways:
- Work that has a Great fabricator who can lay out the job in a way that will minimizes waste.
- If you have a little project, you might be able to complete the idea using remnants coming from additional jobs.
- Be open to a variety of shades as well as patterns, which gives you more options as well as a wider range of prices.
Alternatives to marble
Some homeowners want the look of marble nevertheless don’t want the maintenance — or the cost. While there are laminates that will mimic the look of marble, they are often less desirable, especially when the idea comes to resale time.
Engineered, or “cultured marble” is usually a blend of stone particles as well as resins that will is usually combined with pigments to produce a wide range of colors as well as realistic, natural looking patterns, says GoMajestic. “Unlike natural stone, cultured stone is usually cast in molds to create specific pieces such as bathtubs, sinks, countertops, backsplashes, moldings as well as trim, shower walls as well as shower pans.” The resulting product is usually nonporous as well as low maintenance. Those who prefer cultured marble value its advantages:
- Beauty– “Veining as well as patterns can be incorporated during the casting process, creating character, depth as well as interest that will mimics its natural counterpart,” notes Go Majestic.
- Easy Maintenance– Cultured marble doesn’t need sealing as well as is usually easy to clean.
- Durability– Cultured marble is usually non-porous as well as resistant to stains, mildew as well as chips.
- Cost — the idea is usually less expensive to make as well as install than slab marble.
- Custom options – Because the idea is usually a manufactured product, the idea offers a wide range of colour options as well as pieces can be shaped to fit your specific needs as well as decor.
While installing a marble kitchen countertop is usually generally not a do-the idea-yourself project, the idea is usually possible to create a faux marble countertop with concrete using a concrete overlay product called Ardex Feather Finish. This particular can be spread onto existing countertops. The project involves putting down multiple layers of varying shades of the overlay substance. The marbleizing occurs when you sand down the different layers that will you applied. The coated surface is usually then sealed for a beautiful countertop at a fraction of the cost.
If your budget as well as plan allow, natural marble is usually a classic choice that will never goes out of style. A little investment in care as well as maintenance will yield big results over the long term, especially when the idea’s time to sell your home.